The Lights Out Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else intrigued by the upcoming Shogun Rua vs Coleman fight?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone else intrigued by the upcoming Shogun Rua vs Coleman fight? Empty Anyone else intrigued by the upcoming Shogun Rua vs Coleman fight?

Post  astrowhiz Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 am

When Rua came into the UFC I thought he'd take it by storm cos he was the shiz in Pride, but it never really happened. He's been unlucky with injury though so that could be part of it.
Do you think a ring rusty Coleman will give Shogun any problems? I know it's a rematch that Shogun wanted cos of his previous loss to Coleman but it seems like a bit of a set up fight to get Shogun back in the mix. Shogun could be a good draw for the UFC as he's a dynamic fighter and usually has exciting fights. If he loses though will that be the beginning of the end in the UFC. What with the damp squibs that were Wanderlei Silva and CroCop recently will that make Dana think that some of these ex-Pride guys weren't really all they were cracked up to be and they'll fall by the wayside? (add to that if Henderson loses to Franklin)
astrowhiz
astrowhiz

Back to top Go down

Anyone else intrigued by the upcoming Shogun Rua vs Coleman fight? Empty Re: Anyone else intrigued by the upcoming Shogun Rua vs Coleman fight?

Post  Mortis Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Shogun won a majority of his fights in the past by kicking a downed opponent or stomping on them, which is illegal in the UFC. His main weapon was taken away from him when he came to the UFC.
Mortis
Mortis

http://www.myspace.com/sicknoise

Back to top Go down

Anyone else intrigued by the upcoming Shogun Rua vs Coleman fight? Empty Re: Anyone else intrigued by the upcoming Shogun Rua vs Coleman fight?

Post  DFDmike Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Mortis wrote:Shogun won a majority of his fights in the past by kicking a downed opponent or stomping on them, which is illegal in the UFC. His main weapon was taken away from him when he came to the UFC.

i don't know... obviously you have to be pretty dominating to get the "majority" of his fights in that position. he just had one off fight, simmer down people. shogun will probably beat coleman.
DFDmike
DFDmike

http://myspace.com/dfdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 pm

I would say Shogon will probably beat Coleman. I think Mortis has a point thought with the Pride guys not doing quite as well in the UFC. The rules are very different and I would imagine it's a tough transition for most of them which could attribute to their downfalls in the UFC. No way to know for sure but that has always been a theory of mine.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  DFDmike Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 am

Jennifer wrote:I would say Shogon will probably beat Coleman. I think Mortis has a point thought with the Pride guys not doing quite as well in the UFC. The rules are very different and I would imagine it's a tough transition for most of them which could attribute to their downfalls in the UFC. No way to know for sure but that has always been a theory of mine.

cro cop, wand, and nog are all getting older and we are witnessing their chuck and hughes-like declines.

shogun is young and will be a star in the UFC if he stays there whether he loses to coleman or not. he won't have trouble with the transition, he just came in to his last fight out of shape. besides, coleman has been a pride guy since pretty much the beginning. he won the original grand prix. it wasn't too long ago every division a pride fighter was in, had a pride champ. nog, rampage, and anderson. they aren't doing too badly in my opinion.

i could be wrong... just my take.
DFDmike
DFDmike

http://myspace.com/dfdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:36 pm

DFDmike wrote:
Mortis wrote:Shogun won a majority of his fights in the past by kicking a downed opponent or stomping on them, which is illegal in the UFC. His main weapon was taken away from him when he came to the UFC.

i don't know... obviously you have to be pretty dominating to get the "majority" of his fights in that position. he just had one off fight, simmer down people. shogun will probably beat coleman.

Well not a majority, but a good number (5 out of 16 wins).. not saying he's not a great fighter, cuz he is.. just saying that the cage is a different place than the ring. I still pick Shogun over Coleman coming up, though. I'm not a fan of Mark Coleman.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:39 pm

DFDmike wrote:
besides, coleman has been a pride guy since pretty much the beginning. he won the original grand prix.

He started his career out in the UFC, though... first 3 years between UFC 10 and UFC 18... went to Pride during Pride 5 and then the 2000 Grand Prix.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  astrowhiz Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Good point Mortis. I'd forgotten about that. Mind you he is Brazilian so soccer kicks probably come naturally. He shoots, he scores, with his opponents head!
Kinda brutal when you think of it. More akin to a boozy fight outside a pub than MMA.

It's a good point you make DFDmike that sometimes the unconvincing ex-Pride guys are focused on more than the successes. A decent fighter is still decent even though some transition time may be needed. Do you think the transition from ring to cage is more psychological or physical?
Some guys like Couture are adept at pinning against the cage and fighting on the inside but most fighters don't do that so much. It seems adjusting to the cage shouldn't be that hard, but then I've never fought in a cage.

We all seem to be picking Shogun for the fight anyway. If Coleman wins we'll all have to edit our posts so as not to look stoopid Wink
astrowhiz
astrowhiz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 pm

astrowhiz wrote:

Good point Mortis. I'd forgotten about that. Mind you he is Brazilian so soccer kicks probably come naturally. He shoots, he scores, with his opponents head!
Kinda brutal when you think of it. More akin to a boozy fight outside a pub than MMA.

It's a good point you make DFDmike that sometimes the unconvincing ex-Pride guys are focused on more than the successes. A decent fighter is still decent even though some transition time may be needed. Do you think the transition from ring to cage is more psychological or physical?
Some guys like Couture are adept at pinning against the cage and fighting on the inside but most fighters don't do that so much. It seems adjusting to the cage shouldn't be that hard, but then I've never fought in a cage.

We all seem to be picking Shogun for the fight anyway. If Coleman wins we'll all have to edit our posts so as not to look stoopid Wink

I don't think the UFC thinks that highly of Coleman, either... remember last year, he was suppose to be given to Brock Lesnar after his loss against Mir, but it didn't happen. I think the UFC sees something in Coleman now (ring rust, old age, something else?) that they want to throw him to the good fighters that need that extra boost after a loss, lol. "Here, we know you can do it, Shogun (and Brock). We'll have you fight this UFC Legend, Mark Coleman! And when you beat him, you'll be at the top!"
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down