The Lights Out Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Will Be A Champion Between 2009-2010

4 posters

Go down

Who Will Be A Champion Between 2009-2010 Empty Who Will Be A Champion Between 2009-2010

Post  The Cody Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Who do you think has a chance to capture their division title between this year and next year?? These (in my opinion) are the top fighters in their division (UFC only) with the exception of the champions who I did not add. Out of all these top guys who has the best chance of being the champ by 2009-2010?

Lightweight:
10. Gray Maynard
9. Nate Diaz
8. Thiago Tavares
7. Clay Guida
6. Joe Stevenson
5. Frankie Edgar
4. Tyson Griffin
3. Roger Huerta
2. Kenny Florian
1. Sean Sherk

Welterweight:
10. Dustin Hazelett
9. Matt Serra
8. Marcus Davis
7. Mike Swick
6. Karo Parisyan
5. Matt Hughes
4. Diego Sanchez
3. Josh Koscheck
2. Thiago Alves
1. Jon Fitch

Middleweight:
10. Alan Belcher
9. Jason Macdonald
8. Wilson Gouveia
7. Micheal Bisping
6. Patrick Cote
5. Thales Leites
4. Demian Maia
3. Yushin Okami
2. Nate Marquardt
1. Dan Henderson
(Rich Franklin has officially moved to 205 so I didnt add him)

Light-Heavyweight:
10. Wanderlei Silva
9. Luiz Cane
8. Chuck Liddell
7. Rich Franklin
6. Thiago Silva
5. Shogun Rua
4. Dan Henderson
3. Forrest Griffin
2. Lyoto Machida
1. Quinton Jackson

Heavyweight lacks alot of great talent so I am only going to do the top 5.
5. Heath Herring
4. Cheick Kongo
3. Gabriel Gonzaga
2. Randy Couture
1. Antonio Nogueira
(Even though Frank Mir is the interim champion, he is still a champ)

Now you are welcome to give your own top list, but the point of this who do you think has the best chance (from each divison) to be the champ within the next two years.

My Picks are: Diego Sanchez(lightweight), Josh Koscheck, Nate Marquardt, Quinton Jackson, Gabriel Gonzaga.
The Cody
The Cody

Back to top Go down

Who Will Be A Champion Between 2009-2010 Empty Re: Who Will Be A Champion Between 2009-2010

Post  Mortis Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Roger Huerta is taking a couple of years off to pursue acting, so I don't think he will be getting the belt within the next year... unless he sees that acting isn't working out and returns to MMA sooner.

Lightweight
I think Diego Sanchez has a good chance of getting the lightweight belt. Kenny Florian, maybe.. he's definitely improved, but even though I make fun of BJ Penn sometimes, he's still no slouch. He is the lightweight champion for a reason, and he did beat Sean Sherk fair and square.

Welterweight
Thiago Alves has a chance at the welterweight belt, because it seems that the shorter stockier hard hitters like Alves are the ones he has trouble with the most.

Karo could possibly have a chance... I think Karo would out-wrestle GSP, but I still see GSP TKO'ing Karo if they fought.

Anthony Johnson could possibly be a contender by the end of the year. He's my favorite up and comer, very aggressive, knows how to use his abilities, and he is fun to watch, too.

Middleweight
Demian Maia probably has the best chance out of everyone in the middleweight division right now... though, he's still relatively untested. He looks good in his fights, but has hasn't really fought a big contender, yet. Throw him in there against Michael Bisping, Nathan Marquardt, or Dan Henderson, if he can beat one or two of those guys, then he deserves a title shot.

Yushin Okami is one of the guys that gave Anderson an "L" on his record... though, it was because of an illegal knee by Anderson. I would like to see another Okami / Anderson fight, but I think Anderson would pull off a clean win this time.

Light Heavyweight
I'm predicting Lyoto Machida to defeat Rashad Evans.... but, I have to honestly, I have predicted Rashad to lose in just about every fight in the last few fights. But, Machida's style counteracts the 1-punch KO styles of Rashad Evans, and the aggressive styles like Tito Ortiz and Thiago Silva. Machida via TKO late in the 3rd round against Rashad.

Heavyweight
I'm hoping Mir defeats Lesnar in their upcoming fight.. but that could go either way. Cain Velesquez is another interesting up and comer, who could possibly be a contender by the end of the year. Big Nog is still in the picture as well, and I would like to see him and Randy Couture fight.

Let's see... by the end of the year......... this is hard.

Lightweight - Diego Sanchez (I'll agree with this)
Welterweight - GSP
Middleweight - Anderson Silva
Light Heavyweight - Lyoto Machida
Heavyweight - Brock Lesnar (I predict he'll win it, lose it, and then win it again)
Mortis
Mortis

http://www.myspace.com/sicknoise

Back to top Go down

Who Will Be A Champion Between 2009-2010 Empty Re: Who Will Be A Champion Between 2009-2010

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Good topic, I'll give my top 10 as well as who I think has the best chance of being champ in 09-010

Lightweight: (Current champ is B.J Penn)

Top 10 fighters-

1. Sean Sherk
2. Kenny Florian
3. Diego Sanchez (ok he hasn't fought here yet but going on pure talent he is top 3 IMO)
4. Joe Stevenson
5. Roger Huerta (though he is leaving to pursue an acting career)
6. Tyson Griffin
7. Clay Guida
8. Nate Diaz
9. Gray Maynard
10. Frankie Edgar

{Who will be Lightweight champion in 09-010? There is not a whole lot of guys at Lightweight that can beat B.J Penn. However I think a guy like Kenny Florian or Diego Sanchez has the best chance right now in the UFC, so either one of those guys or maybe both of them will hold the belt in 09-010. I'd also like to point out that guys like Maynard and Diaz are incredible LW prospects, I don't see them holding the belt next year... but I do think either one of them or maybe even both of them will be a champion somewhere in the future.}

Welterweight: (current champ is GSP)

1. Jon Fitch
2. Thiago Alves
3. Josh Koscheck
4. Mike Swick
5. Karo Parisyan
6. Matt Serra
7. Matt Hughes
8. Marcus Davis
9. Martin Kampmann
10. Dustin Hazelett

{Who will be Welterweight champ in 2009-2010? GSP can plow through almost anyone in the division... except a guy like Thiago Alves. As good as GSP is, I do not see him dominating Thiago... it's going to GSP's hardest fight yet. If anyone can dethrone GSP right now it's the 'Pitbull' so he is my pick. However can Alves be as dominant a champ as GSP was? Jon Fitch outsmarted Thiago to get the submission victory, it's very possible he can do it again. Maybe after Alves wins the belt, Jon Fitch will work his way up to another title shot and defeat Thiago Alves again to become champ? Or maybe Thiago will have evolved so much since the last fight, and in a rematch with Fitch will go out there and completelly destroy him? I don't know. I think guys like Hazelett, Koscheck and Swick can become champs in a few years but just not right now. Also another guy you should watch out for is Ben Saunders, that dude is a stud and with a few more fights I can guarantee you will see him crack the UFC top 10.}

Middleweight: (Current champ is Anderson Silva)

1. Dan Henderson
2. Nate Marquardt
3. Yushin Okami
4. Demian Maia
5. Thales Leites
6. Patrick Cote
7. Michael Bisping
8. Wilson Gouvaia (sp?)
9. Jason MacDonald
10. Alan Belcher

{Who will be Middleweight champ in 09-010? None of the guys on this list can beat Anderson Silva right now IMO. Silva is the most dominant champion that the UFC has ever seen, much more dominant than Matt Hughes was back in the day. The second best guy in the division is Dan Henderson, Anderson Silva already proved that Hendo has nothing on him... in a rematch I think Anderson Silva would be even more dominant. Same thing with Marquardt, Marquardt is a stud, the guy is a machine... already fought Silva, already was dominated and the same will happen in a rematch. The only guys on that list who I think could give Anderson some problems are Demian Maia and Michael Bisping. I think style wise those two guys could pose some interesting problems to the MW champ. Now if Anderson Silva wasn't fighting at Middleweight... no doubt guys like Henderson and Marquardt would be leading the division, but until Silva retires or moves up to 205... those two guys will never hold the MW title.}

Light-Heavyweight: (Current champ is Rashad Evans)

1. Lyoto Machida
2. Forrest Griffin
3. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (ok maybe he should be 1 or 2, but I just think the other two are better. Sure Forrest didn't get a dominant win over Page', but it's still a win and I think he'd do it again)
4. Thiago Silva
5. Rich Franklin
6. Chuck Liddell
7. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
8. Luiz Cane
9. Wanderlei Silva
10. Keith Jardine

{Who will be LHW champ in 09-010? Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida for sure will be LHW champ next year! Style wise Rashad has the best chance of stopping Machida, but even so I still say Machida beats him to become champ. Now if Rampage gets the first shot and he ends up beating Rashad, I still think Machida would beat Rampage. Machida will probably end up becoming the most dominant LHW champ in UFC history.}

Heavyweight: (current champ/s are Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir)

1. Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira
2. Randy Couture
3. Gabriel Gonzaga
4. Cheick Kongo
5. Cain Velasquez
6. Shane Carwin
7. Junior Dos Santos
8. Heath Herring
9. Antoni Hardonk
10. Pat Barry

{Who will be Heavyweight champ in 09-010? It all depends on who wins in the Lesnar-Mir rematch. If Brock Lesnar wins, I can see him eventually losing to a guy like Gabriel Gonzaga or Minotauro or someone else like Carwin or Velasquez. If Mir wins, I can see Mir defending the belt a few times, I think he's going back to the old dominating Frank Mir and I can see him getting big wins over the same guys I mentioned that would probably beat Lesnar this early in Lesnar's career. If I had to bet money on someone holding the Heavyweight title in 2009-2010 and I COULD NOT choose either of the current title holders (Mir or Lesnar), then I would put money on Gonzaga or Shane Carwin.}

This probably could have been a really great article for TLOS, but it probably would have turned out too long lol.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cody Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Mitch I totally agree with what you said, you did the top 10 more on talent and I kind of done it based of fights (like the experts) which I think that way is totally more bogus doing a top 10 based on talent is alot better.

But HOW CAN YOU DISS MY MAN RAMPAGE??? Sure Forrest beat him (by decision that i didnt think he won) and Machida is undefeated by dude he is Quinton Jackson i believe Rampage is the one and ONLY guy who can defeat Machida and if Forrest rematched Rampage i have to call T.K.O win on that one you got to give my man more credit Mitch hahaha im just messin around.
The Cody
The Cody

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:23 pm

I agree that if anyone can beat Machida.. it could be Rampage, his power can be overwhelming.
Mortis
Mortis

http://www.myspace.com/sicknoise

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:54 pm

You are probably right, and I'm a huge Rampage fan... but you know, he'd probably beat Forrest in a rematch it's just I'm an even bigger Forrest fan and Forrest has a win over Quinton so... yeah that one was kinda biased.

I need to cut this biased shit out lol.

As far as Rampage beating Machida, yeah Rampage would probably be the favorite but I still think Machida is better :p

Alright fair enough, I'll put Quinton ahead of Forrest. It's only fair right, if I'm going by pure talent of course.

Sorry Forrest, still love ya like a brother though Razz
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cody Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:08 am

haha dude you dont need to be sorry for being biased, i will bet you that i am the most bias dude on this entire forum i mean did you read my "Clay Guida man hug" thing i mean we all know Guida isnt a bitch, in fact i may be 100 lbs heavier then the guy but i know he could kick my ass. Im just a huge fan of Rampage he is my favorite fighter period, i like no one more than Rampage because Rampage got me into MMA, the very first fight i EVER watched was him DESTROYING Kevin Randleman and dude that got me hooked and I havent ever missed a Rampage fight since then. So no worries I am just as bias as you are.
The Cody
The Cody

Back to top Go down

Post  DFDmike Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:33 am

rampage is EXACTLY the type of fighter machida is made for. agressive puncher who isn't the most mentally-driven or "out of the box" fighter. he didn't even overpower forrest. i don't think his takedowns are much better than tito's. not saying page couldn't catch him, i just don't think he is potentially the best choice of kryptonite

rashad is the style we have never seen machida against. methodical/strategical/technical and very very strong dangerous and explosive, plus having never lost says a lot.

i'll do my list soon.

and no way does forrest get it again. he is one of the worst champs since UFC got big.
DFDmike
DFDmike

http://myspace.com/dfdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cody Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:55 am

Rampage is a much more technical striker than Rashad is, Rashad wings punches in diffrent directions and when he throws strikes he doesnt have his ands up as he is throwing him, where Rampage comes in and just picks you apart with his striking. He couldn't do it to Forrest cause Forrest was smart enough to take his power away by dishing out nasty leg kicks. Rashad I agree is methodical on the ground but is not on the feet, he just has had great knockouts that made it look like he was a great striker....in the Tito Ortiz fight Rashad had to resort to his wrestling because Tito was out striking him and out working him. Rashad is the type of opponent that Machida would destroy, Rampage is the kind of opponent that will present ALOT of problems for Machida.
The Cody
The Cody

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:57 am

No love for Forrest, huh? Razz

I still think Forrest can beat Rampage for a second time... but again I'm biased.

Huge Forrest fan lol.

Rampage is a monster though, no doubt about that.

Forrest is just the ultimate underdog, even when he was champ... gotta root for the underdog Razz.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down