The Lights Out Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big John Interview: His Return to Reffing, Fedor vs Arlovski & thoughts on return to UFC.

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Big John Interview: His Return to Reffing, Fedor vs Arlovski & thoughts on return to UFC. Empty Big John Interview: His Return to Reffing, Fedor vs Arlovski & thoughts on return to UFC.

Post  Emericanaddict Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:48 am

Thought this was an interesting find and would be fun to share with the community out there. Big John has given a very interesting interview to mmafanhouse.com and expresses his views on not only Fedor and Arlovski but BJ and GSP aswell. The always insightful referee also sheds some light on his possible return to the UFC. Ive only posted part of the interview hear and the full thing can be found hear: http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/02/17/mma-ref-big-john-mccarthy-is-back-and-he-feels-no-ring-rust/#cont
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Michael David Smith: Now that you're getting back to refereeing after taking time off, how much ring rust have you felt?"

"John McCarthy: I haven't felt any ring rust. I'd been teaching classes and doing a lot of things for referee education, and teaching has helped me a lot. I also did some refereeing for the U.S. Army for an event they had down at Fort Hood. So it felt very comfortable for me to get back in. I didn't feel any nervousness or ring rust or anything like that I'm just back to doing what I enjoy doing."

"What was the atmosphere like for Fedor vs. Arlovski?"

"It was great. Any time you have two guys of that caliber stepping into the ring, that's an exciting time for the fans, for the other fighters -- the other fighters all came out front to watch that fight because you don't have the opportunity to see two of the best guys going at it very often. It's the same with Georges St Pierre against BJ Penn. The fighters want to see that because you don't get that atmosphere all the time, and when you have it, it's a unique thing. The atmosphere was electric, and I was very happy to be able to do that fight."

"You acted very quickly. Fedor's knockout punch came out of nowhere, and in an instant, Arlovski was unconscious and you were standing over him."

"Well, sometimes you're just looking at the right thing at the right time. I was in a position to see Arlovski's eyes when he got hit, and his eyes showed me there was nobody home. He was out. Because he was up in the air, it was unusual because the punch actually turned him, and he turned towards me, luckily. If the punch had been a left hand, I wouldn't have seen what I saw. I saw the way he fell, and in the sport of mixed martial arts, the referee stops the fight if you cannot intelligently defend yourself. And you see the way Andrei fell, he fell face first with his hands at his side. He wasn't going to be able to defend himself, so stopping that is what I'm there to do, and fortunately I was able to do my job."

"Do you think it's time for the UFC and Fedor to sit down and figure out a way to get him into the Octagon?"

"You know what? I would love to see Fedor in the Octagon. There's been so much said back and forth, and really it's promotional stuff. Dana White knows that Fedor is a phenomenal fighter. Dana White has tried to sign Fedor, and I understand why he couldn't sign him. It's not Dana. Fedor's management team, their promotion, M-1 Global, wants certain things and they use Fedor to get those things. UFC says, "We're not going to promote your promotion, we're going to promote a fighter.

Would I like to see Fedor fighting there? Sure. I want to see -- no matter what promotion -- the best fighters fighting each other. I don't watch promotions. I don't care what promotion is putting on the fight if it's a good fight. The thing the UFC brings to you is you know those three letters mean you're getting a quality product. They've worked hard for that and they deserve that. There are others that are doing that, too. Strikeforce is doing it. I think Affliction has put on two phenomenal shows."

"Will we see you back in the UFC Octagon?"

"That's not up to me. I don't make those decisions. That's up to the athletic commissions. Or if Dana White and Marc Ratner go somewhere that doesn't have a commission, they can always call me. If they call I'll answer, and if they don't, that's OK too."

"Who do you think is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world?"

"I always used to say that I thought B.J. Penn was the best pound-for-pound fighter there was. I thought he had the best skill set of anyone. I thought Georges St. Pierre was No. 2, and I picked him to beat B.J. because he was a bigger athlete. The way Georges took B.J. apart, I may have to change it a little bit. But I still say the top four guys are Georges St. Pierre, BJ Penn, Fedor and Anderson Silva. Which one you want to put at the top doesn't really matter."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you guys enjoy that. Thoughts anyone? I for one am really excited for Big Johns return after some of these new guys the promotions have been using lately. Hopefully Big John can indeed make a return to the octagon and once again let us rest assured that any and all stoppages will be legit. Im looking at you Herb Dean. lol just kidding Herb.
Emericanaddict
Emericanaddict

http://www.mmafightspace.com/Emericanaddict

Back to top Go down

Big John Interview: His Return to Reffing, Fedor vs Arlovski & thoughts on return to UFC. Empty Re: Big John Interview: His Return to Reffing, Fedor vs Arlovski & thoughts on return to UFC.

Post  Mortis Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:07 pm

It's hard to a disagree with Big John... but I still don't think BJ is a Top 5 P4P fighter.
Mortis
Mortis

http://www.myspace.com/sicknoise

Back to top Go down

Big John Interview: His Return to Reffing, Fedor vs Arlovski & thoughts on return to UFC. Empty Re: Big John Interview: His Return to Reffing, Fedor vs Arlovski & thoughts on return to UFC.

Post  Emericanaddict Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Well Ive currently got GSP and Anderson Silva fighting for 1st in line followed by Fedor, Miguel Torres and possibly Jon Fitch if not Machida. But ive definitly got all these guys ahead of BJ.

BJ is atleast 7th p4p but im not gonna make that call. MMA really needs its own official ranking system or something. But yeah I dont see how you can rank BJ in the top 5 p4p.

Dude has put on some amazing performances in the past but what has he done lately? Ok he submitted a WAYYYY out of his prime Jens Pulver, beat a very overhyped opponent in Stevenson (Whom BJ's next opponent put away even faster than BJ did) and had a good showing against a Sean Sherk who for some reason refused to take the fight down into his world. Sherk has never been a boxer and wasn't about to win the stand up war against BJ.

None of that is to impressive. Dont get me wrong Sherk is a class act and 1st class opponent but he was tailor made for BJ's style. BJ simply hasnt faced the same calibur of opponents as he may have in the past and after the complete domination by GSP i dont see how he can be ranked in the top 5.

If BJ thouroughly puts Florian away though I think it can be considered but just not quite yet in my books either.
Emericanaddict
Emericanaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

I have Anderson, GSP, Fedor, and Miguel all in my Top 4 as well..... I'm still wanting to put Urijah Faber up there at Number 5, and Machida at number 6.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Damn B.J haterz Razz

Actually as sad as it sounds, I think I'm starting to agree with you guys.

I'm still a huge Penn fan... but maybe he isn't top 5 P4P.

This all depends on how well he does against Florian I guess.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:55 am

I've got GSP, Anderson Silva, Fedor, Machida and Urijah for my top 5 P4P fighters. Not in any particular order. Penn as a top P4P is quite a joke in my opinion. Sorry Mitch.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 am

Jennifer wrote:I've got GSP, Anderson Silva, Fedor, Machida and Urijah for my top 5 P4P fighters. Not in any particular order. Penn as a top P4P is quite a joke in my opinion. Sorry Mitch.

Sad

Well I still have him in my top 10. He's one of the most skilled fighters in the world today, but his gas tank... as much as I THOUGHT it had been improved, GSP was still able to break him. I still think at LW, B.J Penn is a wrecking machine.

Ok I get it, he can be a dick sometimes in his interviews and a bit over confident... but hey you can't deny that he's still a very talented fighter and one of the best of all time. Maybe not top 5 P4P... but in my eyes, he's still top 10 unless Florian can prove otherwise.

My Top 5:

1. Fedor
2. Anderson Silva
3. GSP
4. Rashad Evans (as much as I want to put Machida here, Rashad is the champ and also undefeated with HUGE wins but I'm confident Machida will beat him so when that day comes I will put Machida in this spot).
5. Miguel Torres
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Mitch Ciccarelli wrote:

4. Rashad Evans (as much as I want to put Machida here, Rashad is the champ and also undefeated with HUGE wins but I'm confident Machida will beat him so when that day comes I will put Machida in this spot).

In terms of numbers, they are pretty even.

Record
Rashad is 13-0-1
Lyoto is 14-0

Stats
Rashad - 5 (T)KO's - 2 Subs - 6 decisions
Lyoto - 4 (T)KO's - 2 Subs - 8 decisions

Common Opponents
Vs. Stephan Bonnar - Rashad by Majority decision, Lyoto by TKO at the end of the first round.

Vs. Tito Ortiz - Rashad and Tito fight to a draw due to Tito getting points taken away in the 1st round
Lyoto defeats Tito by UD

Vs. Sam Hoger - Lyoto defeats Sam by UD, Lyoto defeats Sam by Split Decision

Biggest Wins
Rashad - 2nd Rd KO over Chuck Liddell; 3rd Rd TKO over Forrest Griffin.... Rashad was relatively untested until he fought Stephan Bonnar, which could have helped him improve on the way up

Lyoto - 2nd Rd TKO over Rich Franklin; UD win over BJ Penn

Best Finish
Rashad - Hellacious straight kick to the face to Sean Salmon.. knocked him out cold! Great KO over Chuck Liddell, too.

Lyoto - Knockdown and ground KO over Thiago Silva with 1 second left to go in the first round.

Style
Rashad:
Offense - hard hitter, fights like a young Chuck Liddell
Defense - great dodging ability, can take a hit!

Lyoto:
Offense - series of small punches, takedowns, likes to work on the ground and pound
Defensice - very evasive and quick, knows how to counter-strike well

Would be a great fight, but I think Lyoto's counter-striking can beat Rashad, and Lyoto actually has bigger wins in terms of named opponents than Rashad.. though, Rashad defeated Chuck, but that was when Chuck was getting past his prime. Lyoto defeated Rich and BJ in their prime.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:44 am

I would love to see Rashad and Machida go at it. As good as Rashad is, Machida is better in my opinion. He is certainly worthy of a title shot at the very least.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:35 am

Jennifer wrote:I would love to see Rashad and Machida go at it. As good as Rashad is, Machida is better in my opinion. He is certainly worthy of a title shot at the very least.

I agree with you on that. I'd say Machida via Unanimous decision, would be a great fight.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Mitch Ciccarelli wrote:
Jennifer wrote:I would love to see Rashad and Machida go at it. As good as Rashad is, Machida is better in my opinion. He is certainly worthy of a title shot at the very least.

I agree with you on that. I'd say Machida via Unanimous decision, would be a great fight.

Although I would love to see Machida finish Rashad, you might be right that it would go a 5 rounds.. both fighters have the stamina to do that. If it goes the distance, then it could go either way. I'd like to say Machida would pull it out if that happened, but I don't know.. too hard to say.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:21 am

Mortis wrote:
Mitch Ciccarelli wrote:

Although I would love to see Machida finish Rashad, you might be right that it would go a 5 rounds.. both fighters have the stamina to do that. If it goes the distance, then it could go either way. I'd like to say Machida would pull it out if that happened, but I don't know.. too hard to say.

I can see it going 5 rounds. I would love to see Machida end it though. He is a careful fighter so he won't go in balls out and do anything stupid. He'll pace himself for 25 minutes if he has to.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:32 am

Jennifer wrote:
Mortis wrote:
Mitch Ciccarelli wrote:

I can see it going 5 rounds. I would love to see Machida end it though. He is a careful fighter so he won't go in balls out and do anything stupid. He'll pace himself for 25 minutes if he has to.

Agreed. Lyoto has all the talent to finish Rashad, but most likely when they fight it will go to the judges scorecards. Rashad is also very elusive as well, and has a ton of KO power, and is a much better wrestler than Lyoto, so IMO this is probably Machida's toughest challenge yet but I think he will overcome it.

Machida's TD defense is solid, but he hasn't fought a wrestler of the caliber of Rashad as far as memory serves me so it will be interesting to see if Machida can defend Rashad's shot.

Really I think that's all Machida has to worry about, the wrestling and the striking power of Rashad Evans... as well as Rashad's technical boxing.

I'd still say Machida has the advantage standing though, and on the ground as far as Jiu-Jitsu goes he is much better than Rashad.

It would be a very interesting fight.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:48 pm

Mitch Ciccarelli wrote:

Agreed. Lyoto has all the talent to finish Rashad, but most likely when they fight it will go to the judges scorecards. Rashad is also very elusive as well, and has a ton of KO power, and is a much better wrestler than Lyoto, so IMO this is probably Machida's toughest challenge yet but I think he will overcome it.

Machida's TD defense is solid, but he hasn't fought a wrestler of the caliber of Rashad as far as memory serves me so it will be interesting to see if Machida can defend Rashad's shot.

Really I think that's all Machida has to worry about, the wrestling and the striking power of Rashad Evans... as well as Rashad's technical boxing.

I'd still say Machida has the advantage standing though, and on the ground as far as Jiu-Jitsu goes he is much better than Rashad.

It would be a very interesting fight.

When was the last time you saw Rashad wrestle? He's been standing and striking lately... he reminds me of a young Chuck Liddell back in his kickboxing days... though, Chuck did take people down in his early days, too, sometimes.

As far as the evasiveness of Rashad and Machida, they are probably the two guys in the LHW division that are the most difficult to land a strike on... but, it's easy to land it on Rashad due to the type of evasiveness.

Rashad has more of a boxer's swivel, due to his boxing training, though he can take a hit better than Machida can.

Machida is trained in traditional karate (one of the only fighters who can implement karate into MMA very well, I might add), which is one of the most evasive martial arts there is. He moves his entire body fluently.

Damn... I really want to see this fight! On paper, it looks dead even!
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:29 pm

True, he is kind of like a young Chuck Liddell.

I would love to see this fight!

Though I think they are giving Rampage the first shot if he gets past Jardine.

I think Rashad would beat Rampage, but even if Rashad lost... Rampage vs. Machida would be a good fight too!
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Mitch Ciccarelli wrote:True, he is kind of like a young Chuck Liddell.

I think Rashad would beat Rampage, but even if Rashad lost... Rampage vs. Machida would be a good fight too!

That wouldn't make any sense, then that would mean they will be making Machida wait 8-9 months before he fought again from his last fight. Unless they make him fight again before a possible title fight.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  DFDmike Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Mortis wrote:

That wouldn't make any sense, then that would mean they will be making Machida wait 8-9 months before he fought again from his last fight. Unless they make him fight again before a possible title fight.

yup, mitch is right. dana has been saying this for a while. page gets shot if he wins.
DFDmike
DFDmike

http://myspace.com/dfdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  Emericanaddict Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:04 am

Dis thread been hijacked... lol.

Ill throw my two cents in though. Machida wins after alot of punishment to rashads midsection and tiring him out. TKO in the 5th round for Machida IMO. Forrest was on his way to beating Rashad and Machida is really just on another level with his striking and I don see Rashad getting Machida down if Tito couldnt.
Emericanaddict
Emericanaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Emericanaddict wrote:Dis thread been hijacked... lol.

Ill throw my two cents in though. Machida wins after alot of punishment to rashads midsection and tiring him out. TKO in the 5th round for Machida IMO. Forrest was on his way to beating Rashad and Machida is really just on another level with his striking and I don see Rashad getting Machida down if Tito couldnt.

I agree that I don't see Rashad getting Machida down but I don't think Tito is the best example.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:16 pm

DFDmike wrote:
Mortis wrote:

yup, mitch is right. dana has been saying this for a while. page gets shot if he wins.

Joe Rogan interviewed Rampage recently and he did say that if he gets the win over Jardine he's up for the title shot. I really think it's Machida's time to shine but apparently he doesn't make them as much money as some of these other guys.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Jennifer wrote:
DFDmike wrote:
Mortis wrote:

Joe Rogan interviewed Rampage recently and he did say that if he gets the win over Jardine he's up for the title shot. I really think it's Machida's time to shine but apparently he doesn't make them as much money as some of these other guys.

Well Rampage vs. Rashad will be a much bigger draw, both of them are a lot more popular with the fans.

Though Machida definitely deserves a shot. If the UFC are not planning to give it to him for another few months, maybe give Machida one more fight to secure his contendership. I think a fight with someone like Forrest Griffin or a rematch with Rich Franklin would be perfect.

But I'd much rather see Machida get the title shot right now instead of waiting months for it.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:11 am

A guy that I work with and I were talking about Machida and a title shot today, and the whole thing with Rampage getting a title shot. Of course Rampage deserves a shot at the belt again, and I really like Rampage, I just think Machida should get a shot first. But, I know the UFC has a hard on for Rampage.

Machida will get his time.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:08 am

Mortis wrote:A guy that I work with and I were talking about Machida and a title shot today, and the whole thing with Rampage getting a title shot. Of course Rampage deserves a shot at the belt again, and I really like Rampage, I just think Machida should get a shot first. But, I know the UFC has a hard on for Rampage.

Haha Mortis, I was going to say the UFC gets all wet just thinking of Rampage (and the other $'s) but being the only female posting here, I didn't know how you guys would react to that.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:29 am

Jennifer wrote:
Mortis wrote:A guy that I work with and I were talking about Machida and a title shot today, and the whole thing with Rampage getting a title shot. Of course Rampage deserves a shot at the belt again, and I really like Rampage, I just think Machida should get a shot first. But, I know the UFC has a hard on for Rampage.

Haha Mortis, I was going to say the UFC gets all wet just thinking of Rampage (and the other $'s) but being the only female posting here, I didn't know how you guys would react to that.

lol... I'm sure we'd all, or at least most of us would have thought that was funny Very Happy
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Emericanaddict Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:57 am

You know the more i think about this I thing Mahida is going to get the next shot. Jardine has a perfect style to beat Rampage IMO. I think rampage is going to get frustrated with leg kicks all night long. Jardine is competent enough on the ground to get back up and his style is just going to be something Rampage has ever experienced before.

Unless Rampage gets the big KO early on I think Jardine could take this decision. Think about it Forrest was able to deliver those leg kicks all night long and I really think Greg jackson will have noticed this. Trust me I wouldnt say this if I didnt have a gut feeling about it. I pretty much hate Jardine and definitly want Rampage to win but the odds on this fight are like +200 for Jardine on betting sites which is ridiculous considering Jardine is definitly a top contender.

I think ill be putting some cash down on him just for those insane odds atleast.
Emericanaddict
Emericanaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next