The Lights Out Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Underrated fighters?

4 posters

Go down

Most Underrated fighters? Empty Most Underrated fighters?

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:29 am

Who do you think are the most underrated fighters in each weight class?

My opinion:

HW- Gabriel Gonzaga

LHW- Lil' Nog

MW- Dan Miller

WW- Martin Kampmann

LW- Kurt Pellegrino

I think all of the above are a lot more talented than people (usually casual fans) give them credit for.

What do you think?
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Most Underrated fighters? Empty Re: Most Underrated fighters?

Post  DFDmike Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 am

this one is tricky... it's a double ended sword. every fighter that is neglected at a mainstream level has a cult following of worshippers... gotta think on it. i will say the whole world acting like seth was a joke when he beat kimbo was pretty ignorant. seth is a very respectable striker.
DFDmike
DFDmike

http://myspace.com/dfdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:24 am

Cheick Kongo

I'm surprised we haven't seen Kongo vs. Gonzaga, yet.
Mortis
Mortis

http://www.myspace.com/sicknoise

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:52 pm

I have always thought that Gonzaga was underrated and I still think that Machida isn't given the credit he deserves by the UFC and the (casual) fans. We, of course, know his worth but a good portion of the viewers apparently don't.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Jennifer wrote:I have always thought that Gonzaga was underrated and I still think that Machida isn't given the credit he deserves by the UFC and the (casual) fans. We, of course, know his worth but a good portion of the viewers apparently don't.

There are two kinds of fans... there are the hardcore fans, which most of us here on the forum can probably be considered a hardcore fan. The ones who (most of the time) have been following MMA for a long time, and other organizations besides just the UFC.. though, there are newer fans who have become hardcore fans by following the sport and researching it, and doing their homework.

Then there are the mainstream fans. The fans who are getting into it because some of their buddies have, or just because the sport is becoming popular and they want to follow the trend (these are the ones who you usually see at the fights booing 15 seconds into the fight if no blood is shed, yet).

Machida won a majority of his big fights before he got into the UFC, so the mainstream fan isn't going to know about him.. and to be honest, I hadn't known about Machida until he got into the UFC, either.. but I did my research on him, and watched some of his old fights.. and this dude is the real deal.

Anyways.. he is an underrated fighter, because the mainstream MMA fan has no idea of what he really is capable of, but us hardcore fans do.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 am

You are right about that. I can't believe how many people watch now just because it's the thing to do. I never really thought about MMA being trendy but that's about the size of it these days.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:59 am

At my 2nd fight, I was heading inside the venue and got there earlier than a lot of people, and I walked in, and couple of people stopped me and asked what I was doing. I told them that I was fighting tonight and was told to be there at 5pm.. dude rolled his eyes and said, "Everybody's a fighter, now"....... kind of pissed me off, cuz I've been doing martial arts almost my whole life.. and I know I don't look like an MMA fighter cuz I'm a shorter guy.. but this dude was just an ass.

I believe he was the guy who was hired to set up the cage, but the cage was late that day due to ice and heavy snow on the highway, and he was getting frustrated.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 am

Mortis wrote:At my 2nd fight, I was heading inside the venue and got there earlier than a lot of people, and I walked in, and couple of people stopped me and asked what I was doing. I told them that I was fighting tonight and was told to be there at 5pm.. dude rolled his eyes and said, "Everybody's a fighter, now"....... kind of pissed me off, cuz I've been doing martial arts almost my whole life.. and I know I don't look like an MMA fighter cuz I'm a shorter guy.. but this dude was just an ass.

I believe he was the guy who was hired to set up the cage, but the cage was late that day due to ice and heavy snow on the highway, and he was getting frustrated.

That's messed up. I hate when people are rude and ignorant like that.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 am

I've always been more tolerant of ignorance rather than stupidity or dickheadedness. Is that even a word?
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:36 am

Jennifer wrote:I've always been more tolerant of ignorance rather than stupidity or dickheadedness. Is that even a word?

If it's not, it should be Laughing
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:56 pm

LOL Mitch. I use it alot but it seemed odd when I actually saw it typed.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Now I am going to start using it Razz

That's right... I'm stealing your word!!! Twisted Evil
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down