The Lights Out Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The BreakdowN: Penn vs. GSP II

3 posters

Go down

The BreakdowN: Penn vs. GSP II Empty The BreakdowN: Penn vs. GSP II

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:49 am

Hey guys my article is up on the site would love it if you guys checked it out... feedback is always welcome to!

I know the Penn haters are gonna give me some shit though Razz
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

The BreakdowN: Penn vs. GSP II Empty Re: The BreakdowN: Penn vs. GSP II

Post  Jennifer Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:24 pm

Sure, I'll check it out, but I am a Penn hater so be prepared, HAHA!
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Well it was very well written and you have certainly done your homework. I guess we just see them differently. Please understand something. I am not saying any of this because I don't like BJ (in all honestly, I can't stand him) but that is not where this is coming from. I just think that the GSP of today is probably the best well rounded fighter out there. He has the best cardio, his striking is clean, his skills on the ground are dynamic. GSP is a smart fighter and I think BJ is a greedy one. But again, this is just my opinion.
GSP is one of my top 3 favorite fighters so maybe I am biased. LOL! You better go with the opinions of others on this one.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:19 pm

lol thanks for the feedback!

And yeah I will agree, GSP is one of the best fighters out there today but in my personal opinion I just think B.J is better.

But I like both guys a lot and I hope nobody gets seriously injured in this fight or anything.

I'm gonna try to do an article every week on here.

Some people don't like B.J's attitude... but you have to understand, the guy is not a cocky asshole he is just built up that way on TV. Every fighter wants to be the best, that's what motivates them. Shit, GSP has the same attitude as B.J just the way they build GSP up on TV is "oh he's the God of MMA. He's so nice, so humble, this and that". B.J is a nice guy too, just when he's in fight mode... trust me he is one of the mentally toughest fighters in the world and of course he says some things that many consider "trash talk" but hey it just means he is motivated to fight. After he beats GSP, he will shake his hand.

Now on the contrary, people hated Junie Browning on TUF season 8... I did as well but his "cocky" attitude was much different and much more disrespectful. The guy was shoving people, spitting on people and shit.... B.J doesn't do that sort of stuff, he's just mentally hungry to be the best. Junie Browning was just being a punk trying to get TV time and be popular.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  DFDmike Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:26 pm

i don't know... guess everyone has their opinion, but this just seems so biased. BJ's striking 10-8 over GSP??? what??? GSP has technique, speed, reach, and strength advantage. the only thing that is in BJ's favor is his chin.

as for the 10-7 in submissions, yes, BJ is clearly the higher level black belt, but their last fight was before GSP got his BB in BJJ, and BJ couldn't sub him then. GSPs submission game has only gotten better since then while BJ plateaued by the time of their first fight. plus, GSP's incredible wrestling improvements will only make it harder for BJ to pull of the submission he couldn't get in their last match. GSPs wrestling + BJJ combination is a near impossible task to deal with.

and the conditioning stuff. you just drink BJ's kool aid and take his word for it that he's better now. the reason he looked in better shape in his past few fights is because they were at LIGHTWEIGHT. this is a WW fight... and plus, who has tested his cardio??? sean sherk didn't push the pace so you can't really say it proved anything. same with joe and jens. his last two fights at 170 he gassed early and lost both times.

the ONLY way i see BJ winning is by flash KO. GSP is better on the feet and on the ground (with his superior wrestling base making up for the slightly lower level submission game) and he is bigger, in better shape, stronger, faster... it seems so clear to me. it's just that BJ goes "im the best in the world. im in the best shape of my life." and all you guys are like "well he said it so it must be true." BJ ALWAYS says hes in the best shape of his life. c'moooonnnn.

and about the BJ comparison to junie. have you seen the recent BJ interviews saying he is going to literally kill GSP, and all of these other comments about GSP being on steroids and much more. then GSP is like "i am a changed fighter since my last fight" and BJ goes "well talk is cheap." WTF???
DFDmike
DFDmike

http://myspace.com/dfdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Mitch Ciccarelli wrote:lol thanks for the feedback!

And yeah I will agree, GSP is one of the best fighters out there today but in my personal opinion I just think B.J is better.

But I like both guys a lot and I hope nobody gets seriously injured in this fight or anything.

I'm gonna try to do an article every week on here.

Some people don't like B.J's attitude... but you have to understand, the guy is not a cocky asshole he is just built up that way on TV. Every fighter wants to be the best, that's what motivates them. Shit, GSP has the same attitude as B.J just the way they build GSP up on TV is "oh he's the God of MMA. He's so nice, so humble, this and that". B.J is a nice guy too, just when he's in fight mode... trust me he is one of the mentally toughest fighters in the world and of course he says some things that many consider "trash talk" but hey it just means he is motivated to fight. After he beats GSP, he will shake his hand.

Now on the contrary, people hated Junie Browning on TUF season 8... I did as well but his "cocky" attitude was much different and much more disrespectful. The guy was shoving people, spitting on people and shit.... B.J doesn't do that sort of stuff, he's just mentally hungry to be the best. Junie Browning was just being a punk trying to get TV time and be popular.

As I said before, BJ is greedy, I don't think mentally hungry is the right phrase. And you are right, I do think he has a shitty attitude. Talking trash to build up a fight is one thing, but he (and a few others) get carried away with shit like that. Mabye it makes them feel superior to go on and on like that but to me, it makes them look like a dick and they when they lose, the only way to rectify their idiocy, is to eat a handful of crow shake the hand of the guy that just kicked their ass. Haha but that's just me.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:39 am

Dayummmmmm alright I'm going to try to reply to this the best I can Razz.

"i don't know... guess everyone has their opinion, but this just seems so biased. BJ's striking 10-8 over GSP??? what??? GSP has technique, speed, reach, and strength advantage. the only thing that is in BJ's favor is his chin."

I've said both are good on the feet, however I feel like B.J's boxing is what gives him the advantage. Maybe 10-8 is a bit much, but none the less I think you will find most people will agree with me on B.J Penn having the striking advantage. Sure GSP has good stand up, like you said he has the reach advantage and he's the stronger guy... ok what now B.J doesn't have speed and power? If this was pure striking, no doubt Penn would pick GSP apart.

"as for the 10-7 in submissions, yes, BJ is clearly the higher level black belt, but their last fight was before GSP got his BB in BJJ, and BJ couldn't sub him then. GSPs submission game has only gotten better since then while BJ plateaued by the time of their first fight. plus, GSP's incredible wrestling improvements will only make it harder for BJ to pull of the submission he couldn't get in their last match. GSPs wrestling + BJJ combination is a near impossible task to deal with."

I don't see anything wrong with giving BJ a 10-7 jits advantage, I gave GSP a 10-7 wrestling advantage. You make it sound like B.J Penn hasn't improved at all since then, which I'm sorry that's just not true. BOTH guys have improved a lot since that fight. So yes B.J couldn't submit him back then, doesn't mean he can't do it now. Sure GSP is a BB now, Penn is still more advanced and just like GSP is still improving. What once a guy gets a black belt that means they can't get any better? You learn something new every day you train.

"and the conditioning stuff. you just drink BJ's kool aid and take his word for it that he's better now. the reason he looked in better shape in his past few fights is because they were at LIGHTWEIGHT. this is a WW fight... and plus, who has tested his cardio??? sean sherk didn't push the pace so you can't really say it proved anything. same with joe and jens. his last two fights at 170 he gassed early and lost both times."

All I can really say about this is watch and see on Jan. 31st. I'm not drinking any Kool Aid. Yeah he gassed in his last two WW fights, ok what exactly does this mean? Was B.J training as hard as he is now? No. Hey but maybe you're right, we won't really know until the fight but I strongly believe Penn has the cardio now. GSP always comes in shape, yeah he's gonna test it out and push the pace on Penn so we will see.

"the ONLY way i see BJ winning is by flash KO. GSP is better on the feet and on the ground (with his superior wrestling base making up for the slightly lower level submission game) and he is bigger, in better shape, stronger, faster... it seems so clear to me. it's just that BJ goes "im the best in the world. im in the best shape of my life." and all you guys are like "well he said it so it must be true." BJ ALWAYS says hes in the best shape of his life. c'moooonnnn."

hehehehe, yes that's exactly why I think B.J will win because he said so... has nothing to do with me just admiring the guy for being one of the most talented fighters in the world and me watching his fights and seeing how good he is and potentially how good he can be in the future. I'm not a "nut hugger", I just strongly believe B.J is the better fighter. I don't care how big and how strong and how good a wrestler St. Pierre is, B.J is the better fighter. I could easily say the same about GSP fans, you see him in these countdown shows and all these promotional vids being hyped up as this unstoppable cyborg that's gonna kill everyone in his path and everyone says "GSP is the best, he's never gonna lose"... well hey he's been beaten before, Matt Serra knocked him out and B.J Penn is head and shoulders a much better striker than Serra. Yes GSP has continued to evolve since then, but still if it happened once it can happen again.

"and about the BJ comparison to junie. have you seen the recent BJ interviews saying he is going to literally kill GSP, and all of these other comments about GSP being on steroids and much more. then GSP is like "i am a changed fighter since my last fight" and BJ goes "well talk is cheap." WTF???"

I have, I don't see anything wrong with him saying he's gonna kill GSP. As a fighter if you don't have that mind set of "I'm ready to fucking kill this guy and i'm gonna pound the shit out of him until the ref pulls me away" than honestly what the fuck are you doing in the cage? lol Do you ACTUALLY think B.J Penn is really planning on killing GSP? No, but that's the mindset you have to have. Not only that but bro that's hype for the fight. GSP is the good guy in all of this, the fan favorite... Penn is just playing the villain I know that sounds lame and prowrestling-ish but that's how it is, it's fight hype and it brings more PPV buys. As for GSP being on steroids, haven't read that one... I'll agree with you on Penn being unfair with that comment.

Well I'm clearly outnumbered, as it seems like I am the only Penn fan on this forum lol.

Really the only way I can win this argument is if my prediction comes true so we're just gonna have to wait.

Also If I'm coming across as a dick, I apologize. I'm not the best arguer, so when I debate with someone I can sound like an asshole and not even realize it :p.

Laughing Laughing
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down