The Lights Out Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown (Main Card)

3 posters

Go down

The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown (Main Card) Empty The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown (Main Card)

Post  The Cody Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 pm

The Cody has learned that maybe long breakdowns arent the best kind of breakdowns so I promise that i will TRY to shorten it so that people who actually are courteous enough to read the breakdown it will be a good read for you, this time I am only going to do the main card and i'd only do the under card if it is requested of me. So without further ado it's The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown.

Georges St-Pierre Vs. BJ Penn

Name: Georges St-Pierre
Height: 5' 10" (178 cm)
Weight: 170 (77 kg)
Record: 17-2-0
Nickname:"Rush"

Name: BJ Penn
Height: 5' 9" (175 cm)
Record: 13-4-1
Nickname:"The Prodigy"

It is the most anticipated re-match in UFC history, and if I am not mistaken this will be the first time that two UFC champions will collide in the octagon. UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn takes challenges UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St.Pierre for UFC Welterweight Championship. They first fought back at UFC 58 USA vs Canada and it was a controversial split decison win for Georges St.Pierre, but in the beginning of that fight BJ Penn was picking apart St.Pierre on the feet after that first round St.Pierre had a busted knows and two black eyes now if that isn't striking domination i dont know what is. But in the past BJ Penn's achilles heel was his conditioning and that is what in my opinion cost BJ Penn the fight, he wasnt able to defend the take down and St.Pierre did just enough to pull out a victory. But now things have changed both fighters 5 times better than they were when they last fought. BJ Penn is one of the most dangerous fighters in the world for a number of reasons, 1. his ju-jitsu is almost legendary because he has this amazing dexterity in his legs that makes them almost like his 3rd and 4th hand, it also helps him with his takedown defense because due to his flexibility he is able to stand right back up when he gets taken down. 2. His striking ability is probably the best in the lightweight division, i dont think there is many people in any weight division that has the striking ability that BJ Penn has, its precise and crisp. But Georges St.Pierre is equally as dangerous, he has probably the best wrestling ability in the entire UFC and the odd thing is, is that he doesnt have a wrestling background he trained under the Canadien National Wrestling team and they most have had excellent wrestlers because of the ability you see Georges St.Pierre have in the octagon is because of them. Also Georges St.Pierre is probably the best at combinations and mixing up his strikes from punches to kicks to knees to even the spinning back kick, alot of people have had trouble dealing with his striking and that is why he is the Welterweight champ. In this fight it will be alot diffrent then the first one but even though BJ Penn has better conditioning but you can not gain 5 round conditioning that fast, I think what will happen is that Georges St.Pierre will drag it out into the championship rounds and really take over the fight from there. It will be a great fight better than the first but I think the end result will be the same.
Prediction: Georges St.Pierre via Unanimous Decison

Lyoto Machida Vs. Thiago Silva

Name: Lyoto Machida
Height: 6' 1" (185 cm)
Weight: 205 (93 kg)
Record: 13-0-0
Nickname:"The Dragon"

Name: Thiago Silva
Record: 13-0-0

Now this has all the makings of being an either really exciting fight or a really boring fight, but in my opinion it all depends on who is winning. Lyoto Machida is a master game planner, the game plan he executed against Tito Ortiz was nearly flawless and it might of not been the most exciting tactic in the world but it did give him the victory over a former UFC Light-Heavyweight Champion. Not only is Lyoto Machida undefeated but he has a who's who list of victims Stephan Bonnar, BJ Penn, Rich Franklin, Sam Hoger, Kazuhiro Nakumura, Thierry Sokoudjou, and Tito Ortiz, and being undefeated I dont care who you are that is an impressive list. Machida is also one of the few guys in MMA who uses karate as a base in his fights, but he uses it to perfection and that is all he has, he also has excellent takedown defense great striking defense and has trains ju-jitsu under the Nogueira brothers alah Anderson Silva. Machida is a force to be wrecking with in the Light-Heavyweight division but his opponent Thiago Silva is a force as well. Thiago Silva in my opinion ranks up there with Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans as one of the most vicious strikers in the Light-Heavyweight division, he is the kind of guy that doesnt care what is happening or what your style is he will be up in your face landing pin-point accurate bombs to your chin and body and his mount is one of the most devastating mounts in MMA (next to BJ Penn) because he has such excellent ground control that if he gets you down there like he did to Houston Alexander and Antonio Mendes you better pray to the good lord above because he will light you up and i dont mean by those baby shots like most fighters do he throws bomb after bomb from the top until the ref stops it or your knocked out cold. These two styles make for an excellent fight, if Thiago can stop Lyoto Machida from using the same game plan he did against Tito and make Machida press the action and then unload on him when he is close enough, he will take this fight but if Lyoto Machida fights smart avoids the big power and going to the ground and uses his Karate base to keep Thiago at bay then he will win the fight, so like i said it could either really boring or really exciting but i would bet a million dollars (if i had it) that neither one of them will stop the other one so this is almost guranteed a decison.
Prediction: Lyoto Machida via Unanimous Decison

Stephan Bonnar Vs. Jon Jones

Name: Stephan Bonnar
Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
Record: 14-4-0
Nickname:"American Psycho"

Name: Jon Jones
Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
Record: 7-0-0
Nickname:"Bones"

I dont have really too much to say about this one, Stephan Bonnar has had a long lay off so you might see ring rust in there and Jon Jones is a quality opponent but has little ground experience where Bonnar is a black belt in brazilian Ju-Jitsu under the late Carlson Gracie, and is also a former golden gloves boxer. I see Stephan Bonnar feeling out Jon Jones at first trying to get into rhythm since he has been gone so long, but i see him being smart and getting Jones to the ground and unloading a clinic, he will either lock in a kimura or a choke i dont see this one going out of the first round.
Prediction: Stephan Bonnar via Submission rd 1

Karo Parisyan Vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Name: Karo Parisyan
Height: 5' 10" (178 cm)
Record: 26-5-0
Nickname:"The Heat"

Name: Dong Hyun Kim
Record: 11-0-1
Nickname:"Stun Gun"

I hate to say this but i see this being the buzz kill of the night, Dong Hyun Kim is a tactical fighter as you saw in his fight with Matt Brown at UFC 88 and I think Karo Parisyan has been out to long that you wont see the same explosive judo and ground n pound I think Karo Parisyan might be to worried about losing that he might just do enough to take a decison. Karo's judo is some of the best in the world, trained under the legendary "Judo" Gene Labell who is famously known for choking out martial arts expert Steven Segal (back in the day) and Karo does a phenomenal job of transitioning his great judo game into the contrast of Mixed Martial Arts and when he gets you to the ground he knows how to unload a vicious ground and pound as he did against Nick Thompson, Drew Fickett, and somewhat against Ryo Chonan. But Kim is very tactical on the ground and on the feet where he wont fall under the power of Parisyan he would avoid the clinch at all cost and he is good enough on the ground to avoid any serious damage, i see this being a slow pace fight each one trying to find a hole in the others game but they wont find it, I see Karo getting him down to the ground and just doing enough to edge out a decison.
Prediction: Karo Parisyan via Unanimous Decison

Nate Diaz Vs. Clay Guida

Name: Nate Diaz
Height: 6' 0" (183 cm)
Weight: 155 (70 kg)
Record: 10-2-0

Name: Clay Guida
Height: 5' 7" (170 cm)
Weight: 155 (70 kg)
Record: 24-6-0
Nickname:"The Carpenter"

I am calling fight of the night on this one, Clay Guida vs Nate Diaz is as great of a matchup you can get in the UFC. Nate Diaz is who i like to call the lightweight version of Minatauro Nogueira, because it doesnt matter what is happening to him he will go for 100 submissions in one round and he is good enough on the ground where if you make one slip up one wrong move that he will catch you and he wont let go and you will either tap out or go to sleep. Take his fight with Pelligrino for example, he was taken a beating in that fight he couldnt get to his feet and he couldnt keep Kurt in his guard but he took advantage of a sloppy takedown and locked a beautiful triangle and threw his fingers in the air and let everyone know that he is for real. But his ground game is all he has Nate Diaz is also an excellent boxer, he peppers you with shots and frustrates you to the point where all your doing is defending and not fighting back alah his brother Nick Diaz. But Clay Guida will be Nate's toughest test not only in his UFC career but his entire MMA career as well, Clay Guida is the type of fighter that breaks you down and just virtually makes you give up. He is an excellent wrestler with great submission defense (even though he got choked by Huerta but it was a knee that set it up) and he just stays on you it doesnt matter if you find a way to get back to the feet he pulls you right back down, he has excellent conditioning and he goes 100% from beginning to end. Game Plan for Nate Diaz he wants to try to use his boxing and long reach to keep Clay Guida at a distance so that Guida cant get inside and shoot for a takedown, but if he does get one then as soon as they hit the ground he has to look for a submission after submission because Guida knows his game and knows what he does he just has to disguise something and try to lock it in. Game Plan for Clay Guida is to breakdown Nate Diaz frustrate him with multiple takedowns and avoid the submission at any cost, Nate Diaz is a tough street kid with a temper so it wont be too hard to put him in a frustrating situation. But I see this fight as all Guida BUT I see Guida making a mistake (like he almost did against Danzig) and getting caught by Diaz late by submission.
Prediction: Nate Diaz via Submission Rd 3

I know it wasnt short but hey these are such great fights I had to make sure to get all the details i could get in there, and also i wanted to help the people who might need help with theire Lights Out Show challenge or UFC fantasy i aint no expert but hey i do my homework so you never know. Thanks Guys says

The Cody
The Cody
The Cody

Back to top Go down

The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown (Main Card) Empty Re: The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown (Main Card)

Post  Mitch Ciccarelli Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 am

Good article bro... though a few spelling and grammatical errors but other than that I enjoyed it and agreed with most of it.

My official predictions:

B.J Penn vs. GSP: I think everyone knows I'm pulling for B.J. If you haven't already, you should check out my article that is up on TLOS where I stylistically broke this fight down. Some people think I'm being biased, but hey every time I have done one of these "BreakdowN" articles (and i've done about 9 or 10 of them for another site), I have managed to pick the winner every single time :p. B.J Penn by third round TKO is my official prediction.

Machida vs. Silva: I also wrote an article about this too for the other site I write for, but not sure if I'm allowed to post the link or not lol. Basically I'm picking Machida by unanimous decision!

Karo vs. Stun Gunn: I'm going with Karo via unanimous decision. Shouldn't be that bad of a fight though but I will agree it probably won't be the same Karo we have seen in the past. He'll be more cautious just to get this win.

Bonnar vs. Jones: Jones has potential but I just think Bonnar is better at all areas of the game. I'm going with Bonnar via second round rear naked choke submission.

Diaz vs. Guida: I agree this could be the fight of the night. I think it will either be Diaz by way of submission or Guida by way of decision... I'm going with Diaz via second round triangle choke.
Mitch Ciccarelli
Mitch Ciccarelli

Back to top Go down

The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown (Main Card) Empty Re: The Cody's UFC 94 Breakdown (Main Card)

Post  Jennifer Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Great article. I agree with your choices of wins but not too sure on the methods. I guess we will see tomorrow night.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down