The Lights Out Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kalib Starnes: ‘I’m glad I’m not fighting’ in the UFC

+2
Mortis
The JDH
6 posters

Go down

Kalib Starnes: ‘I’m glad I’m not fighting’ in the UFC Empty Kalib Starnes: ‘I’m glad I’m not fighting’ in the UFC

Post  The JDH Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:43 am

I read this article @ MMAmania and thought I should pass it on... what'd you think?

Kalib Starnes said:

“People like to be on the side that’s winning. They’re supportive when you’re winning and critical when you’re losing. I still get some sweet hate mails pretty regularly. There are some gyms with guys who begged me to come in there and train and do seminars before that fight and who wouldn’t return my calls or talk to me afterwards…. It’s good. It separates people who are really supportive and back you from people that are just trying to jump on your wagon while you’re successful…. [Being granted a release from the UFC] was something I’m happy about. I’m glad I’m not fighting there and will be fighting independently where I want and for whoever wants to pay me.”

Kalib Starnes talks about life after his dreadful fight against Nate Quarry at UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2″ earlier this year, which will perhaps go down as the worst performance ever inside the Octagon in modern history. The former contestant on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) indicates that he broke his foot early in the fight, causing him to disengage and flee from “The Rock” the entire fight. UFC President Dana White, as well as those who watched the fight, were generally disgusted with the fight — the negative reaction he received was quite remarkable, actually. Starnes asked to be released from the organization shortly thereafter and the request was granted. He will return to action against Kala Kalohe Hose under the Destiny banner on November 15.
The JDH
The JDH

http://www.thelightsoutshow.com

Back to top Go down

Kalib Starnes: ‘I’m glad I’m not fighting’ in the UFC Empty Re: Kalib Starnes: ‘I’m glad I’m not fighting’ in the UFC

Post  Mortis Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 am

I dunno.. he's running around that ring pretty well for having a broken foot.
Mortis
Mortis

http://www.myspace.com/sicknoise

Back to top Go down

Kalib Starnes: ‘I’m glad I’m not fighting’ in the UFC Empty Re: Kalib Starnes: ‘I’m glad I’m not fighting’ in the UFC

Post  DFDmike Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:57 am

here's the thing, why even FINISH a fight you are too "hurt" to at least try to win. i dont understand that mindset, one minute left, 3rd round, and you have NO chance to win... why not go all out?? there is nothing to lose. if his injury was that serious and made him unable to throw a punch then he should've thrown in the towel to save embarrassment. no one called frank shamrock the stuff they called kalib starnes when he broke his arm because frank acknowledged the serious injury and admitted he couldn't continue.
DFDmike
DFDmike

http://myspace.com/dfdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 pm

My sentiments exactly! If he was so hurt, you'd think he'd want to end it sooner and go all out. Whether it be a W or an L. There is no shame in losing via KO, TKO, or submission. There is more shame by running from your opponent and letting it go to the judges.
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake Amdahl Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Starnes made me really sad with the fight with Quarry. I had him to win and I was a fan of his since he was on TUF...Why couldn't he have just planted and tried to throw bombs with his punches? He get's knocked out but looks like a bad ass in the process. The UFC wants him back (because we all know that's where he REALLY wants to be) and he goes down as, not one of the greats, but a decent fighter in history. I've broken my foot before and throwing sloppy lazy punches seems like it'd be easier than literally running around the ring.
Jake Amdahl
Jake Amdahl

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:46 pm

I have never seen anyone with a broken foot run backwards so quickly and for the entire length of the fight. I honestly don't know what he did that would have caused a broken foot anyway. Did he use it for anything other than running?
Jennifer
Jennifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mortis Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:32 pm

I remember when Rich Franklin broke his hand during his fight with David Loiseau in the 2nd round. He went on to win that fight via UD... for 3 more rounds! 15 more minutes with a broken hand! He even threw a few punches with that hand.

Granted.. a broken foot is probably worse than a broken hand during a fight.. but still.

You get injured during the fight.. you either tap out if it's that bad (hence Manny dislocating his shoulder during the Diaz fight.. which was understandable).. or you go all in for the kill to try and end it early. You don't go jogging on it for 10 more minutes!
Mortis
Mortis

Back to top Go down

Post  AOk918 Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Mortis wrote:You get injured during the fight.. you either tap out if it's that bad (hence Manny dislocating his shoulder during the Diaz fight.. which was understandable).. or you go all in for the kill to try and end it early. You don't go jogging on it for 10 more minutes!
Well said my man.
AOk918
AOk918

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down